From the top producers, to the most valuable diamond variety, we're revealing our top 10 interesting facts about Diamonds - the official birthstone for April.
1. Down the centuries, the top producer of diamonds has changed many times. From India in the 1400s, to Brazil in the 1700s. However, in more recent years South Africa and Russia have taken the lead as the biggest diamond producers in the world.
2. The most popular diamond shape for engagement rings is the round brilliant.
3. Since diamonds have been cut and fashioned for jewellery the race to find the best cut with the most sparkle has constantly evolved. The traditional round diamond of today has 57 facets. However, you can also buy Mastercut diamonds that feature a unique star cut with a remarkable 89 facets. This exceptional diamond cut produces 30% more sparkle than the round cut!
4. When it comes to grading the quality of a diamond's colour, the letter D signifies that a diamond is colourless and of the highest quality. However, most diamonds have a slight yellow hue.
5. The certification scheme that ensures diamonds are conflict free is known as the Kimberley Process. The process is named after the South African town of Kimberley where the first official meeting was held.
6. 1 in every 10, 000 diamonds is what's known as a fancy colour diamond. Colours include, blue, brown, yellow, and pink, with red being the rarest and most valuable fancy diamond variety.
7. Diamond is made up of a single element, carbon. The carbon comes from intense heat and pressure during a volcanic eruption. If the carbon cools quickly when reaching the earth's surface a diamond is formed.
8. Diamonds are graded by what's known as the 4 C's. These are: colour, carat, clarity and cut. Cut is the only factor that is affected by the human hand.
9. A professional diamond cutter who cuts the final facets of a diamond is known as a brillianteer.
10. The word diamond comes from the Greek word 'adamas' which means 'unconquerable' or 'indestructible'. Diamonds are the most hardwearing of all the gemstones.
We could go on and on with interesting facts about diamonds and hope you share our passion for the most exquisite of all the gemstones.
We offer amazing discounts on diamond jewellery, including engagement and eternity rings, bracelets, earrings and pendants. Find your perfect diamond piece today.